Not your average banana bread
Ever wonder what to do when you have over ripe bananas sitting in your kitchen? Make banana bread! I have one of the easiest recipes out there that requires less than 10 minutes to prep. I spice it up with dark chocolate chips, walnuts, and chia seeds.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with chia seeds, I like to think of them as a super food. Chia seeds are high in Omega-3, protein, fiber, antioxidants, B-vitamins, calcium, boron, and absorbs up to 30 times its weight in water, keeping you full for longer! Need I say more? Plus, they’re virtually tasteless when you put them in the bread.
For 1 loaf of Banana chocolate chip walnut chia seed bread (whew, that’s a mouthful!), you will need:
– 2-3 ripe bananas
– 1/3 cup melted butter
– 3/4 cup of sugar
– 1 large egg, beaten
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– pinch of salt
– 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
– 1 teaspoon chia seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl and mix in the melted butter. I recommend using a wooden spoon.
3. Mix in the sugar, egg (beaten), and vanilla.
4. Slowly mix in the baking soda and salt.
5. Add the flour and mix until all the lumps are gone.
6. Mix in the dark chocolate chips, walnuts, and chia seeds.
7. Pour the mixture into a buttered loaf pan.
8. Bake for approximately 1 hour.
9. Cool the on a rack for 30 minutes, remove from the pan, and slice to serve.