Since I’m an ATL girl through and through, I know a thing or two about Coca-Cola. I mean, hey, Coke originated from my city. If you’ve ever stopped by the West Egg Cafe in Midtown Atlanta, you’ve probably tasted one of their delicious cupcakes. The most popular ones are their Coca-Cola flavored ones. I don’t particularly drink cola, but I do enjoy cola flavored things. I was feeling somewhat homesick and went searching for the infamous cupcake recipe to give me a taste of home. The recipe was surprisingly very easy to find! I’ve tried several different recipes and I assure you this one is the best.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
2 sticks unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-Cola
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter
2 Tablespoons cocoa
6 Tablespoons Coca-Cola
16 ounces (4 cups) powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease 2 cupcake pans.
3. Sift flour and sugar into large bowl and add marshmallows.
4. Heat butter, cocoa, and Coke in saucepan. Bring to boil and pour over dry ingredients.
5. Mix in the beaten eggs and vanilla.
6. Combine baking soda and buttermilk in small bowl and add to other ingredients.
7. Pour into greased pans and bake 30-40 minutes.
While cake is baking, prepare icing:
1. In saucepan, bring butter, cocoa, and Coke to boil.
2. Blend in powdered sugar.
Spread icing over hot cupcakes.
The finished result is incredible! They’re moist, just sweet enough, and have a subtle taste of cola. I garnished my cupcakes with Haribo coke bottle gummies. Make sure you wait until the cupcakes have fully cooled before you add the gummies or else they’ll melt. I brought these into the office and they were all gone within the hour!
To learn more about these tasty treats, check out this video: